WELCA Purpose Statement
As a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society, and the world.
WELCA at Atonement
Women of the ELCA (WELCA) is made up of all of the women of the congregation. Within the larger organization are:
Circles — “Circles” are small groups of women who meet monthly to receive support, develop relationships, enhance their understanding of their relationship with God and serve others. They are about faith and fun. Each circle has a chairperson who is a member of the Executive Board.
General Meetings — There are four General Meetings a year which are the responsibility of the circles. These meetings involve a guest speaker/entertainment, business meeting and refreshments. All women of Atonement are invited and encouraged to attend.
The Executive Board — The larger organization, which encompasses all women of the church, has a board that meets four times a year and directs the way the organization functions and decides where funds should be expended.
There is usually one retreat planned for the women each year, plus other opportunities for retreats sponsored by the Synod.
Our circles are involved in many ministries at Atonement and in the community. Examples of outreach projects are:
- Creating hand-made quilts, which are shipped to countries designated by Lutheran World Relief
- Knit-Wits (knitting afghans for nursing homes, homeless shelters, etc.)
- Prayer Shawls for people facing challenges
- Cookie Day at Luther Manor, a collection of home made and store bought cookies for the coffee cart at Luther Manor
- Kathy’s House (monthly meals for patients and caregivers traveling to the Milwaukee area hospitals for medical treatment)
- Dinners for Siena House (a homeless shelter in Waukesha)
- Volunteer at the Hope Center in Waukesha
- School Kits for Third World Countries through Lutheran World Relief
- Health kits, sewing kits, and layettes for Lutheran World Relief
- Mt. Meru and Fair Trade Coffee/Tea/Hot Chocolate Project
- Altar Guild (monthly volunteers set up communion/change the altar paraments/clean the chancel area)
- Safe Babies, Healthy Families of Waukesha County
- Siena House, meals that are prepared by the Atonement Circles and taken over to Siena House.